Disclaimer: Play at your own risk. You will almost certainly lose money on average, and I find golf to be more of a crap shoot than other sports. Also, my lineups will certainly be influenced by my own biases – players I like to cheer for, players I hate to cheer for, etc. But since you are here anyway…
Here are the lineups I am going with for The PGA Championship (updated on Wednesday to remove Jason Day…I wasn’t that hot on him to start with, and this news made me even more nervous).
- Dustin Johnson ($11,600) – World #2, with a chance to take over the #1 spot…and he doesn’t care at all. He barely knows where is. He just wins golf tournaments.
- Phil Mickelson ($10,200) – After a performance at The Open Championship that in most years would have given him a win, I’m hoping he pulls it out this week (a win that is).
- Branden Grace ($8,000) – Good price for a guy that has already one once this year, and grabbed 5 top 10 finishes in 13 starts, including a T5 at The U.S. Open.
- Jason Dufner ($7,100) – Dufner is back. What more do you need?
- Steve Stricker ($7,000) – A solo 4th at The Open Championship – playing well at a fair price.
- Andy Sullivan ($6,100) – A great value pick for a guy who has been playing really well lately, finishing T12 at the Open, and a bunch of other strong finishes on the European tour.
- Rory McIlroy ($11,400) – Long drives, tight shirts, yes please. Just a reminder that his major total is the same as Jordan’s, Jason’s, and Dustin’s, combined.
- Jordan Spieth ($11,100) – Speaking of Jordan, he is probably riding high after taking a bunch of money from Phil on Tuesday, so look for him to continue that run on Thursday.
- Soren Kjeldsen ($6,700) – Who? He missed the cut at the U.S. Open, but finished T9 at The Open Championship, and T7 at The Masters.
- Kevin Na ($6,700) – I know…you really don’t want to be depending on this guy on Sunday, but at $6,700, it was hard to turn down.
- Gary Woodland ($6,700) – I had him in my Open lineups, and he did well, so I’m sticking with him.
Other players that are worth paying for, but just couldn’t make it in my lineup for a variety of reasons:
- Adam Scott, Sergio, Patrick Reed, J.B. Holmes, Cabrera-Bello, and Lee Westwood.